SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191604 - 03/05/07 11:55 PM "Must know" music by decade or genre
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I'm curious to know what seems to be the "must know" tunes by decades and/or genre that would be the most requested or get the best audience response.

Also wondering what you're finding as far as which type of place, gig or audience responds best to them?

Are you finding that some tunes work across the board in any setting?

Scott

#191605 - 03/06/07 03:50 AM Re: "Must know" music by decade or genre
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
One tune that seems to work extremely well in the "dinner music" venue that is my primary workplace, is "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca.

It works in many styles from 8 beat ballad, to Jazz Ballad to Jazz Waltz, and depending on the voices used, it seems to be enjoyed by a fairly large age group.

Two tunes I am constantly asked to play are "Somewhere My Love" and "Music Box Dancer", the latter enjoyed by piano students.

"Blue Spanish Eyes", is another well-worn request.

One of my funniest moments came one night when the MC for the dinner, asked me to write my name and my first song of the evening on a piece of paper so he could properly announce me at the beginning of the meal.

I did as he asked and was completely amused when he went to the podium and announced,
"Ladies and gentleman, for your listening pleasure during the meal, we have Mr. Ian Mac Neill, and his first tune for the evening will be "the Girl from Eye-Panema".

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.

#191606 - 03/06/07 05:29 AM Re: "Must know" music by decade or genre
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Good question, but one that really does not have an iron-clad answer. This is because every venue and audience, even those of the same age group, like different songs. With this one, you must do something I was taught by my 87-year-old fiddle player, a person that has been performing longer than most of us have been alive--learn to read the audience. Sure, you get an idea by just considering the type of songs that were popular when they were 18 to 25 years of age, and if you stick to that format you will likely be successful. The one lesson he taught me many years ago with to hit the audience with your best stuff right away. This usually sets the mood and from that point on you essentially control the action with the tunes you select.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#191607 - 03/06/07 05:39 AM Re: "Must know" music by decade or genre
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good post Gary.

A friend of mine used the phrase, "people sometimes don't know what they like...but, they like what they know"...or something like that.

Hitting them with your best stuff is always a great idea, and saving a few cool encores is always handy as well.

And you're right...it really depends on the venue.

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.

#191608 - 03/06/07 05:40 AM Re: "Must know" music by decade or genre
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I'm curious to know what seems to be the "must know" tunes .Scott

The only "MUST KNOW" in this game is learn to read any & all audiences ...if you can't do that, & it takes years of experience to do so, & be a killer player/singer your doomed!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-06-2007).]

#191609 - 03/06/07 09:54 AM Re: "Must know" music by decade or genre
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Best request I ever got was from a lady who asked if i knew:

Summertime, by Porgy and Bess.

I told her Porgy and Bess were my favorite songwriters
but i never knew which one wrote the music and which the lyrics..

------------------
Miami Mo

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online